Saturday, August 30, 2003
THE VALUE BETTING COLUMN EVERY SATURDAY
CHESTER, SATURDAY AUGUST 30, 2003
3.30pm betfair.com Rated Stakes (Class A) (Showcase Handicap) (Registered As Chester Rated Stakes) (Listed) (3yo+, 0-110), (1m5f 89y)
BP= best odds from Coral Eurobet, Blue Square, Ladbrokes, Tote, Stanley and Bet365.
1) (4) 1695 Compton Bolter Gerard Butler 6-9-09 Eddie Ahern
The class act of the race, having finished second in the Ormonde Stakes earlier this season. Ground and course no problem but has a big weight.
BP = 15/2 Blue Square
2) (2)1-09 Supremacy Sir Michael Stoute 4-9-04 Jimmy Fortune
Looked a horse of potential last season but two runs this season have been most disappointing. Best watched.
BP = 9/1 Blue Square
3) (5) 1308 Barathea Blazer Peter Harris 4-9-03 Brett Doyle
Listed winner of an uncompetitive Listed race in France but has generally been struggling off of his current handicap mark.
BP = 12/1 Tote
4) (3) 2030 Bourgeois Tim Easterby 6-8-13v Willie Supple
Has shown bits and pieces of form this season and goes well on this track. However, his price is plenty short enough on what he has achieved of late.
BP = 9/1 Coral Eurobet
5) (10) 0812 Sun Bird Dick Allan 5-8-12 Fergal Lynch
Generally in good form this season and just pipped in the Ebor last time. Clear chance on that effort but did have a hard race at York and this is a much tighter track..
BP = 9/2 Ladbrokes
6) (9) 4031 King's Thought Steve Gollings 4-8-12 Neil Pollard
Good performer over lesser distances and won at Newmarket last time. Should handle this step up in trip and has a good chance, despite rising in the weights.
BP = 11/1 Ladbrokes
7) (7) 1070 Broadway Score John Hills 5-8-10 Michael Hills
Landed competitive Rosebery Handicap at Kempton earlier this season but form has been very in and out since. Unproven at trip but has a chance of getting it on pedigree. Will like the ground.
BP = 14/1 Coral Eurobet & Bet365
8) (1) 2466 Hilbre Island Brian Meehan 3-8-09 John Carroll
Has some fair form to his name, including when beaten three lengths in the Dante earlier this season. Potentially interesting, although hasn't been seen out since May.
BP = 20/1 Blue Square, Ladbrokes & Tote
9) (8) -359 Court Shareef Richard Price 8-8-09 Paul Fitzsimons
Fair staying handicapper at his best and ran well in the Ebor last time. Has a chance, although softer ground and a longer trip may help.
BP = 14/1 Tote
10) (6) 1102 Double Obsession Mark Johnston 3-8-01 John Egan
Been in fine form this season with two wins at Ascot. Step up in trip should suit but no value.
BP = 11/4 Tote, Stanley & Bet365
It looks worth siding with the potentially unexposed HILBRE ISLAND who could be well-handicapped on his handicap debut. Get on each-way.
For old articles (from 1st March 2000) go to the Newslink