Racenews - uk horseracingRacenews Newslink Archive click here for...

 

Monday, July 14, 2008



HORSEMEN'S GROUP EXPRESSES STRONG SUPPORT FOR ROA OVER THE POSSIBLE CHALLENGE TO THE SALE OF THE TOTE




At today’s regular monthly meeting of the Horsemen’s Group, members including representatives of the NTF, PJA, TBA and NASS expressed strong support for ROA chairman Paul Dixon’s questioning of the Government’s handling of the sale of the Tote.

Paul Dixon, who doubles as chairman of the Horsemen's Group, went public last week with the ROA’s decision to seek legal advice on whether the Government’s sale of the Tote could be challenged.


Today’s endorsement brings the rest of the racing industry associations connected with the horse firmly behind the ROA stance.

On behalf of the Group, NTF Chief Executive Rupert Arnold said: “The sense of frustration in the industry as a whole is immense and has been simmering for a long time. There is a view that every development in this saga brings further disappointment for racing and it’s time to hold the Government to account.”

Paul Dixon said: "We do not wish to throw a spanner in the works by forcing a Judicial Review, but we are equally determined to do this if racing looks like being left out in the cold.


"However, I have today spoken to Gerry Sutcliffe and Richard Caborn about our ideas, and I am much encouraged by their positive reaction.


"I believe that support is growing in all areas of the industry for a position that allows racing to join with the Wigan-based Tote operation, including the crucially important seven-year pool betting licence, while the shops are sold on the open market. Half the proceeds of this sale would then go back into racing."


For old articles (from 1st March 2000) go to the Newslink Archive


©Racenews
designed and produced by Racenews Internet Services