Friday, May 25, 2012
QIPCO BRITISH CHAMPIONS SERIES UPDATE
TOMORROW’S RACE: THE BETFRED.COM TEMPLE STAKES, HAYDOCK PARK (SATURDAY 26 MAY)
• The first sprint in this year’s QIPCO British Champions Series sees last year’s winner, Sole Power, come up against one of last year’s top sprinters, Bated Breath, who was second to Dream Ahead in both the Darley July Cup and Betfred Sprint Cup.
• Also in the 13-strong field is the Prix de l’Abbaye winner, Tangerine Trees, who has a Group 1 penalty to carry, and a sprinter that looked to have considerable potential last summer, Masamah.
• There are two interesting three-year-olds in the line-up who both won juvenile races at last year’s Royal Meeting, Best Terms (Queen Mary Stakes) and Bapak Chinta (Norfolk Stakes).
The betfred.com Temple Stakes is the fifth race overall in the QIPCO British Champions Series and the first in the Sprint division:
1. Betfred.com Temple Stakes (5f, 3yo+), Haydock Park, Saturday 26 May
2. King’s Stand Stakes (5f, 3yo+), Royal Ascot, Tuesday 19 June
3. Diamond Jubilee Stakes (6f, 3yo+), Royal Ascot, Saturday 23 June
4. Darley July Cup (6f, 3yo+), Newmarket, Saturday 14 July
5. Coolmore Nunthorpe Stakes (5f, 2yo+), York, Friday 24 August
6. Betfred Sprint Cup (6f, 3yo+), Haydock Park, Saturday 8 September
7. QIPCO British Champions Sprint (6f, 3yo+), Ascot, Saturday 20 October
QIPCO BRITISH CHAMPIONS SERIES RACES TO DATE (there are 35 in total, 7 in each category):
1. QIPCO 2000 Guineas (1m, 3yo), Newmarket, Saturday 5 May (MILE)
Won by CAMELOT (Owner: Derrick Smith, Mrs Sue Magnier, Michael Tabor; Trainer: Aidan O’Brien; Jockey: Joseph O’Brien)
2. QIPCO 1000 Guineas (1m, 3yo), Newmarket, Sunday 6 May (FILLIES & MARES)
Won by HOMECOMING QUEEN (Owner: Mrs Sue Magnier, Michael Tabor, Derrick Smith; Trainer: Aidan O’Brien; Jockey: Ryan Moore)
3. Sportingbet Yorkshire Cup (1¾m, 4yo+) York, Friday 18 May (LONG DISTANCE)
Won by RED CADEAUX (Owner: R J Arculli; Trainer: Ed Dunlop; Jockey: Tom McLaughlin)
4. JLT Lockinge Stakes (1m, 4yo+), Newbury, Saturday 19 May (MILE)
Won by FRANKEL (Owner: K Abdulla; Trainer: Sir Henry Cecil; Jockey: Tom Queally)
TRAINER OF THE SERIES (AFTER 4 RACES)
JOCKEY OF THE SERIES (AFTER 4 RACES)
Points are awarded on a 20-10-5 basis to the jockeys and trainers of the first three horses in each QIPCO British Champions Series race. In the event of a tie, the number of winners (and, if necessary, second places) will be taken into account. The Jockey and Trainer of the Series will be presented with a specially commissioned trophy on QIPCO British Champions at Ascot on Saturday 20 October.
The upcoming QIPCO British Champions Series races are: