Thursday, May 17, 2012
QIPCO BRITISH CHAMPIONS SERIES UPDATE
THE SPORTINGBET YORKSHIRE CUP (1m 6f, 3yo+), York, 2.30pm (LONG DISTANCE)
• Tomorrow’s Sportingbet Yorkshire Cup is the first Long Distance race of the 2012 Series with last year’s runner-up, Blue Bajan, attempting to go one better.
• The 2011 Melbourne Cup runner-up, Red Cadeaux, and the 2010 Ladbrokes St Leger winner, Arctic Cosmos, are amongst the high class opposition.
• Godolphin have won the race five times in the last 17 runnings and will saddle the ex-Andre Fabre filly Be Fabulous, making her debut for Mahmood Al Zarooni. She comfortably won her last three races in France in 2011, including the Prix Royal-Oak (Group 1).
The Sportingbet Yorkshire Cup is the third race overall in the QIPCO British Champions Series and the first in the Long Distance division:
1. Sportingbet Yorkshire Cup (1¾m, 4yo+) York, Friday 18 May
2. Gold Cup (2½m, 4yo+), Thursday 21 June
3. Artemis Goodwood Cup (2m, 3yo+), Goodwood, Thursday 2 August
4. Weatherbys Insurance Lonsdale Cup (2m, 3yo+ ), York, Saturday 25 August
5. Stobart Doncaster Cup (2¼m 3yo+), Doncaster, Friday 14 September
6. Ladbrokes St Leger (1¾m , 3yo), Doncaster, Saturday 15 September
7. QIPCO British Champions Long Distance Cup (2m, 3yo+), Saturday 20 October
QIPCO BRITISH CHAMPIONS SERIES RACES TO DATE (there are 35 in total, 7 in each category):
1. QIPCO 2000 Guineas (1m, 3yo), Newmarket, Saturday 5 May (MILE)
Won by CAMELOT (Owner: Derrick Smith, Mrs Sue Magnier, Michael Tabor; Trainer: Aidan O’Brien; Jockey: Joseph O’Brien)
2. QIPCO 1000 Guineas (1m, 3yo), Newmarket, Sunday 6 May (FILLIES & MARES)
Won by HOMECOMING QUEEN (Owner: Mrs Sue Magnier, Michael Tabor, Derrick Smith; Trainer: Aidan O’Brien; Jockey: Ryan Moore)
TRAINER OF THE SERIES (AFTER 2 RACES)
JOCKEY OF THE SERIES (AFTER 2 RACES)
Points are awarded on a 20-10-5 basis to the jockeys and trainers of the first three horses in each QIPCO British Champions Series race. In the event of a tie, the number of winners (and, if necessary, second places) will be taken into account. The Jockey and Trainer of the Series will be presented with a specially commissioned trophy on QIPCO British Champions at Ascot on Saturday 20 October.
The upcoming QIPCO British Champions Series races are: